Friday, April 4, 2014

Why Cocaine Use Is So Popular

There are many people out there that want to believe that pop culture has nothing to do with the surge of drug use in this country, but I beg to differ. If you listen to many of the most popular songs on the radio, many of them have references to the use of cocaine. While many people can listen to these songs without allowing it to lead to drug use, there are others that are not as strong-willed.

Music is not the only pop culture reference people have when it comes to cocaine. There are films all over the place that glorify the use of the drug. People see their favorite actors on film having a ball using cocaine and sometimes that piques a natural curiosity. You would think that the ravaging effects this drug has on the human body would be enough to deter people, but they choose to focus on the feeling they will receive from using it.

A few years ago I decided that I wanted to try it for myself. I cannot say that it was pop culture that made me curious, but it had an indirect impact on my decision. One of my closest friends listens to music that discusses how great you will feel after a few lines, so she decided to try it. She was hooked and listening to her talk about the good feeling made me want to try it.

While on vacation I talked to the aunt of one of my friends and I have to say that her brain was absolutely fried. When I asked her what her issue was, she told me that she was "high as a kite off of some blow." Looking at the way that her body looked and her inability to have a coherent conversation, I decided to nix the idea of me giving it a try. The feeling you receive will never be worth all the damage it can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment